Through the GAI’s technical information service, members have access to a library of technical updates, RIBA-approved CPD materials and other information which is regularly updated, enabling them to offer informed services to their clients.
Technical services for GAI members
Members are regularly given Quarterly Standards updates, Technical Briefings and CPD training, helping them to stay up to date on issues relating to the legislation, regulations and standards impacting architectural ironmongery and related hardware.
GAI members also have access to a technical helpline, giving professional, up-to-date information on standards, guidelines and regulations. The services is available during business hours.
The GAI's technical representatives speak for the architectural ironmongery industry at home and abroad on various committees concerned with many aspects of our industry.
Representing ironmongery in construction
The GAI sits on the following committees:
- Working Group 12 of the Steering Group on Competences for Building a Safer Future
- UK representative on the European Committee for Standardisation’s (CEN) committee for door automation
- UK representative on CEN committee for lever handles
- Passive Fire Protection Forum (PFPF)
- BSI B538 /1 Windows and Doors
- BSI B538/4 Building Hardware
- BSI FSH/14 Fire precautions in buildings
- BSI B538 4 15 Finger Traps
- BSI drafting panels, most recently helping to update BS 3621, BS 8613, BS 8607 and BS 8214.
- DHF Building Hardware Technical Committee
- BIM Fenestration Relevant Authority Committee